Cancer is the uncontrollable growth of cells that cause damage to the surrounding tissue. Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, the hard and soft palate, sinuses, and the throat. Oral cancer should be diagnosed and treated early, as it is life threatening in its later stages. If you experience any of the following symptoms, Dr. Armstrong and Dr. Tant may screen for oral cancer in Jacksonville, North Carolina:
• Swellings, bumps, or rough spots on the lips or inside the mouth
• White, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
• Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
• Numbness or pain in the face, mouth, or neck that you cannot explain
• Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and will not go away
• The feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
• Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw and tongue
• Chronic sore throat
• Ear pain
• A change in your bite
• Dramatic weight loss
Our dentists will feel for lumps or tissue changes in your neck, head, face, and mouth. They will also look for sores or discolored tissues. Our dentists will also use an oral cancer screening device, which aids them in detecting tissue abnormalities that are not visible to the naked eye.
To learn more and to schedule your next visit, contact our dental office today.